Fashion wheels have turned around and many Indian Accessories have made a stunning comeback. That’s the reason I have come up with Indian Ethnic Accessories like Bangles, Maang Tikka, Kamarband and Hand Harness in my earlier blogs. Today I have an amazing one to talk on – Nose Rings. Brides and bridesmaid look forward to it as an integral part of the most special day. Not just wedding but nose ring is loved by Indian women and is worn in most of the ceremony or occasion to shine out!
Before you move ahead to buy yourself an elegant nose ring make sure you read this blog completely to make sure that it goes well with your face shape and your outfit. You all know that nose ring sits on the face and draws all attention thus it is very important to make sure it’s shape and size suits your face shape. Nowadays it is not just limited to Indian, Muslim or African culture but it is being accepted as fashion accessory in my countries across the globe. Depending on the country you live meaning referring nose ring change, for some it may be cultural or traditional, some may see values in wearing it and some may find it as a decoration that helps in enhancing one’s appearance. Wearing a ring, stud or nath is not only an old Indian tradition but it is a true fashion statement. It holds immense significance in women’s lifestyle as it is associated with both religious and fashion aspects. However the shape, size, design and material of the nose ring purely depends on various regions of India.
Importance of Nose Ring in India
In my earlier blog as I mentioned above I have talked about the sollah shringar and its importance in women’s life. Nose Ring is one of the important one from the list as it holds lots of significance. But there is no strict custom of wearing a nose ring like wearing a Mangalsutra thus it can be worn by both married as well unmarried women. The importance of wearing this accessory differs in from region to region thus some may see it from health, religious or belief’s perspective.
According to Ayurveda, nose piercing is mainly done on the left nostril which is associated with women reproductive organs. This lesser downs the pain during women’s monthly periods and also helps in easing childbirth. Thus girls and older women both should wear nose rings.
In India wearing nose ring is seen as a practice to honour goddess Parvati. It is seen as a sign or a symbol of married women and hence it is removed after husband’s death. It is preferred that girls do piercing at the age of 16 that is considered to be the marriageable age traditionally.
It is believed that if wife exhales air directly it affects husband’s health. Thus if she wears a nose ring it will become the obstruction and won’t leave any bad health effects. This is a popular belief in eastern part of India.
Types of Nose Rings
It is majorly a combination of silver, gold, diamond, pearls and precious stones. It is comes with one or multiple stone at the front with a stick like metal at the back that passes through your ear’s pierced hole and secured at the back with a screw. It generally features floral designs and one of the most popular nose ring type across the world.
It is a simple round ring made up of gold or silver with minimal design. Mainly it is not combined with diamonds, pearls or precious stones as there is no stick like metal that passes through the pierced hole but the ring itself it passed through it. Nowadays it gaining its popularity amongst women.
3. Clip ons:
Clip Ons as the name suggests doesn’t need any nose piercing and can be worn without any pierced hole. It is a U shaped Nose ring where there are designs on the front section and simple metal at the bottom. All you have to do is place this Clip On between the nostrils and press it to secure it. It has stunning designs and also uses Pearls, diamonds and precious stones to enhance the look.
Nathani is circular in shape that tends to be slim and large in diameter. It is mostly attached with a golden thread or chain. Nathani is mainly worn by brides for their wedding ceremonies. It is very popular among women in Rajasthan, gujarat and other Western part of India.
5. Nathani without chain:
It is a variation of nathani where it doesn’t have a gold chain or thread attached to it. It mainly has pendants, diamonds and gems associated with it to enhance the look. It is very popular most women who like a bit westernised style apart from typical traditional style.
6. Nose Rings Of Different Regions:
• Maharashtrian Nath is a signature jewellery of the state. It has a shape of a big cashew nut. It is filled with pearls, precious stone, beads and gems.
• Punjabi Nath is one of the most elegant once. The chain is embedded with small dazzling pendants all over it this makes it more beautiful. The hoop can vary in size from big to small one.
• Uttarakhand’s Nathuli is a big gold nath with number of rubies, pearls and precious stones. It signifies the status of the family and thus it is possession for married women.
• South India’s Nose rings are a bit simple and small. It mainly has small stones and pearls that give it chic look without any extra efforts. Some of the states in south wear nose ring in the middle i.e the septum.
Nose Ring for different Face Shapes
1. Women with oval shape should go for Naths that have embellished chains like Punjabi nath. This will create a balance for your look.
2. Those who have small face or small nose should try to opt for small studs which have one tiny diamond. This will help you maintain sweet and simple look.
3. Women with square face or lager nose should go for big stoned studs. As this will draw the attention off your facial edges and enhance your overall look.
4. If you have sharped nose you should opt for nathanis. As this will help you to adorn you face nicely and also help getting a stunning look.
5. Women with round shaped face should try to go for semi-circular or arch shape nose ring as this will help in getting slim face look.
6. Nose ring for heart shape face should always be a heavy or big nathani. As this will draw the attention off from your broad forehead.
7. Long face shape women should opt for big rings, as this justify your facial shape and enhance the look.
8. Nath without chain will look good on all face shapes.