From ages jewellery has been an important adornment of women in India. Fashion wheels have turned around and many Indian Accessories have made a stunning comeback. Women’s in India decorating them with jewellery is not only a conventional tradition but also holds a lot of values to each and every jewellery piece worn. That’s the reason I have come up with Indian Ethnic Accessories like Bangles, rings, Maang Tikka, Mangalsutra and Hand Harness in my earlier blogs. Today I have an amazing one to talk on – Toe Ring. It is an accessory that adds charm to the demeanour of women. Possibly no other accessory contains such depth meaning as the Toe Ring in India. Since Ramayana times it’s an Indian tradition to wear it and till date Toe Ring is an important accessory for married women.
Toe rings a mainly adjustable and are in closed circular shape but the open hoops which can be easily removed. It has small gap at the end which helps it from slipping over to the tip of toe. As far as I think all Indian married women know that wearing ethnic is incomplete without a great pair of Toe Ring. I personally find it very attractive and stylish to pair it with ethnic outfits. Nowadays unmarried women’s wear it as a style statement with ethnic as well as western outfit. Not many people can relate to me on Toe Ring being stylish but I am sure after reading this blog you will definitely agree to what I said. Each and every part of it leaves you with the desire to invest in them and gather a huge collection in jewellery box.
Significance Of Toe Ring
• Toe ring indicates marital status of women thus unmarried girls are not allowed to wear it.
• It symbolises a woman’s status as a sister and wife that’s the reason when one dies it is removed.
• It is one of the solah singar that holds great significance in women’s marital life.
• According to beliefs wearing toe ring on second finger holds sexual effects.
• Wearing silver toe ring refreshes the whole body system as it’s a good conductor and absorbs energy.
• Some texts mention that toe rings can solve gynaecological problems by massaging it while walking.
• Second toe finger is connected to the heart and also passes through heart thus it revitalizes the productive organs.
• Toe Ring helps in keeping the reproductive system balanced and healthy.
• Wearing toe ring on both toes helps in keeping menstrual cycle regularized.
• According to Ayurveda it is used as a side acupressure that is beneficial for women.
• According to Hindu mythology the sustaining life ends and circulates at the toe tip thus hold spiritual importance too.
Types of Toe Rings:
1. Silver Toe Ring:
Silver Toe Ring is the most popular type and a great combination of spiritual, cultural and ethnic significance. It has become a global accessory with its minimal look which can be styled with any outfit for any occasion. Young girls too prefer this to pair up with western outfit like jeans, skirts, crop tops and dresses. Silver toe ring gives you elegant and sophisticated look within minutes.
2. Gold Toe Ring:
As it is against Hindu tradition to wear gold below the waist because gold symbolises goddess Lakshmi and doing so can be disrespectful, nowadays it is available in imitations. Recently it is trending to wear gold toe ring during wedding ceremony and also in other ceremonies like Sangeet, Mehendi, and reception. It goes well with ethic wear like saree, lehenga, salwar suits and anarkali dresses.
3. Diamond Toe Ring:
Diamond Toe Ring is the most stylish and fashionable one recently that is loved by women across India. It comes with gold or silver base and amazing diamond on the top. It goes well with all Indian ethnic and also western outfits. All you have to keep in mind is avoid overdoing it.
4. Toe Ring Anklet:
Toe Ring Anklet is a stylish type where in the anklet and the toe ring is attached to each other with a chain exactly like a hand harness. It looks extremely elegant and gives you attractive look easily. It goes well with bridal outfit, ethnic casuals and also with western wear. Toe ring Anklet can be of any design and style including silver, gold or diamond opt for the right one according to your preference.
5. Three Finger Toe Ring:
It is a traditional toe ring type that is worn by newlywed bride. It is mainly made up of silver and also with small beads and diamonds. It is the one which looks beautiful on sarees and salwar suits. It holds great significance in Indian culture. Three Finger Toe ring is worn in the middle three fingers excluding the last tiny finger.
Different Names for Toe Ring in India:
1. Bichiya in Hindi
2. Metti in Tamil
3. Mettelu in Telegu
4. Kalungura in Malayalam
5. Jodvi in Marathi