Summers are here. A lot of people wait for this season. You know sun, beaches, pool parties, summer fashion, sun tan, barbeque, beach bonfires, cool drinks and basically fun all around. Sadly I am not one of those people. Summer for me is hot, unbearable and miserable. Maybe, because where I come from it is really hot and humid, plus I am a winter person. And the heat and pollution wage war on the skin and hair. So I have always looked for ways to beat the heat and protect my hair and skin. A reader of Theunstichd recently requested that we do a blog on hair care for the summer. So here it is. I will list out some easy and basic tips that you can follow to protect and nourish your hair.
Few Summer Hair Care Tricks
Here are A few simple Summer Hair Care tricks to protect your hair from the summer sun!
- Get a new haircut. If that seems too much at least trim your hair. That will reduce your split ends and frizzy hair.
- Avoid getting a new hair color; this is not the time to be playing with your hair.
- A hot oil massage 30 minutes prior to washing your hair is a great way to replenish your hair. Try coconut, olive or avocado oil. And by hot I mean slightly and not scalding.
Image © – themodestman.com
- Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
- Do not wash your hair everyday. If it gets too oily or greasy, wash it every alternate day.
- Dry wash your hair with some baby talc. Sprinkle some on your hair and comb it out. This will reduce the oil in your hair thus prolonging the need for quick wash.
- Avoid too much product, whether it is shampoo or conditioner or hair gel or hair spray.
Image © – executivestyle.com.au
- Use natural products and avoid the chemical products.
- Do not wash your hair with water which is too hot. Go for lukewarm water.
- Take a bucket bath instead of a shower. It will help you control and regulate the temperature better and it saves water too.
- Condition your tips and not your roots because the roots get more greasy and oily but the tips get dry and frizzy.
- Make sure that in the end, after conditioning your hair you wash your hair with cold water. This will close your pores, cool your head and make sure you do not loose any weak hair when you comb.
- Use a comb with wide tooth like a zee comb. Avoid the use of hair brush on wet hair.
Image © – telegraph.co.uk
- After washing your hair the first time you comb it should be in the opposite direction that is work your way up from the nape of your neck towards your forehead. This causes blood to circulate in your scalp region.
- Avoid the use of hair dryers. The heat of the dryer is not what you need right now.
- Do not leave your home immediately after washing your hair, it is so hot outside that you will perspire and it will soil your still wet hair.
- To protect your hair from harmful UV rays of the sun use a sunscreen. If you do not have one or get one easily then you can also run your hands through your hair after applying sunscreen to your body.
- Protect your hair from direct sunlight. Wear a hat, cap or bandhana.
- If you have long hair, tie it up in a man bun or a pony.
- If you are going to swim this summer, like at a pool party or a club then please rinse your hair with water and apply a coconut serum before stepping in the pool. This will protect your hair from the chlorine water.
- Try these hair masks:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: H2O, in the ratio of 1:3 before shampoo cleanses your scalp, makes your hair gets its natural shine back and rids your hair of dandruff.
- ¼ cup curd + ¼ cup mayo + ¼ egg whites. This mask is rich in protein. Apply it on your scalp for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with water to rejuvenate damaged hair.
- Get hair treatment done from a good hair care expert like a hair spa.
- Nothing works right on the outside how much ever you try if everything is not right from the inside. So please maintain a healthy and balanced diet. Make sure to include lots of fruits and green leafy vegetables in your daily meals. Also, remember to have a lot of liquids to keep your body hydrated.
Hope these tips help you and you can enjoy the summer without any stress.
CALL TO ACTION :
Found the article helpful?
Share it with 3 people you know may need this right now!
Few Summer Hair Care Tricks