- It shows that you are the kind of man who takes pride in his look and likes to get even the minor details right
- It makes the suit look more suave on your frame
- It never lets you get in that awkward and embarrassing situation where your buttons snapped in public
- All the designers follow this rule like the word of God and design their suits, jackets and blazers keeping it in mind.
1. For the Single Breasted Suit
- With one button: Always button it when standing, unbutton while taking a sit and button it back up when you stand
- With two buttons: Always button the top button when standing, unbutton while taking a sit and button it up when you stand. Never button up the lower button
- With three buttons: Buttoning up the top button is optional, the middle button is absolutely necessary and the lower button should never be buttoned. Unbutton when taking a seat to avoid wrinkles.
2. For the Double Breasted Suit:
DB’s are generally named using the number on number structure keeping in mind the specifications of the DB blazer or jacket. This helps simplify things. A 4 on 2 means that there are four buttons in all out of which two are functional.
- The rule is to always button the functional buttons up when standing.
Hope this simplifies things for you about the button etiquette when it comes to buttoning a suit.