The most perfect outfit can become the Emperors new clothes, a laughing stock that is, if the fit is not right. Get the fit right and even the simplest garments will create a lasting impression.
The Gilet is a sleeveless winter jacket. It is very versatile both in looks as well as in functionality. You can style it as an outer layer or use it as an additional layer to keep yourself warm when its too cold.
Over the years the gilet jacket has evolved in aesthetics and design. There are both light weight and heavy weight options available in the market now.
In order to get the right fit, there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind like:
- Unless you live in very cold region, I would recommend a light weight gilet over a heavy weight one.
- Light weight Gilet is better suitable to wear under a coat or sports jacket. So it is better from the layering aspect.
- The length can differ. But it should never be longer in length than the garment below it. For example if you are wearing it over a blazer, then the blazer should be longer than the gilet jacket. This is one of the crucial rules to keep in mind while styling a gilet.
- The gilet is designed to give a slimmer fit.
- If your plan is to only use it as an outer layer, to wear over a nice coat or blazer or a casual shirt and denim or t-shirt and denim combo, then opt for a more padded gilet
- It should have high arm holes and be slim cut around the body.
- This is everything you need to know about how a gilet jacket should fit.