The Nehru jacket is timeless and elegant. The jacket is hip length and has a closed mandarin collar It is believed that the design for the Nehru Jackets were inspired by the Indian Achkan or Sherwani, which was very popular back in the day. Its origins can be traced back to India of the 1940’s when it was still a British colony and under the Queen’s rule. It was initially called a ‘Band Gale Ka Coat’ or ‘Closed Neck Coat’ and was designed for formal occasions.
The iconic Nehru Jacket has made a comeback due to their rich history, strong style presence and immense versatility. They work well in any setting be it formal or casual and gel equally well with both western and ethnic apparels. Therefore we bring to you some style tips regarding the Nehru Jackets so that you can make the most of this style.
- When you are sporting this jacket in casual setting, make sure it is designed from a lighter fabric
- Do not button it up
- You can wear it with a semi-formal or casual shirt
- Denims work too but in darker tones
- If you are going traditional, opt for the Kurta-Churidar or Kurta-Jodhpurs look. A dhoti works too
- If the kurta is vibrant keep the Nehru Jacket subtle and vice versa
- Mojris, dress shoes and Kolhapuri’s should be your go to footwear options.
- Have fun trying the Nehru Jacket look!